Another binge-worthy movie/TV series list!

Last year, I wrote a blog called ‘Netflix’s binge-worthy list’ (for those who are interested, you can find it here). In this blog, the only difference is that some of the movies or TV series I’m going to list aren’t accessible or available on Netflix. But I thought I’d share them with you regardless.

First on the list is called The Broken Marriage Vow. It is a Philippine drama television series based on a British drama series called Doctor Foster. I have also seen the Korean adaptation of The World of the Married series. However, I wasn’t able to finish it.

To those unfamiliar with the plot, Dr Jill Illustre’s life unravels when she discovers her husband, David, is having an affair. His mistress, Lexy, is the daughter of one of her patients and whose father is a significant backer of her architect husband’s housing development project in Baguio, a beautiful mountain city on Luzon’s Philippines’ northern island.

I’m usually not a fan of watching drama series, but this story was really captivating, and it kept me restless whenever I had to stop watching it. So, if you’re planning to watch this, make sure that your schedule is clear!

Next on our list is a Netflix movie called Our Father, and it is a documentary that unravels the ugly truth about sperm donation as the woman finds out she has many siblings.

I discovered this movie through TikTok when I took a break from doing assignments. I didn’t know what it was about, but I immediately headed to Netflix and watched it straight away because I love true crime documentaries. What I discovered was appalling. It was spine-chilling. I couldn’t help but feel disgusted and cringe every time. It’s not gory, but the thought of someone invading your space without consent was too much for me.

Naoki Urasawa’s Monster was initially a manga and adapted into an anime series. The story revolves around Kenzo Tenma, a Japanese surgeon living in Düsseldorf, Germany, whose life enters turmoil after getting himself involved with Johan Liebert, one of his former patients, revealed to be a dangerous serial killer.

I found out about this through a friend who left a review on one of their Instagram stories, and of course, as someone who loves anime and psychological thrillers, this instantly captured my attention. Not only that, but Johan Liebert was drawn so beautifully that I couldn’t help but watch it. It is pretty long, and it definitely plays with your mind a little bit.

However, if you’re planning to watch this series, I recommend reading the manga first before watching it. I feel like it would make a lot more sense.

Last on our list is a South Korean Netflix series called Twenty Five Twenty One. The story is set in two timelines, 1998 and 2022, capturing parallels between South Korea’s International Monetary Fund (IMF) Crisis and the present-day’s COVID-19 situation.

I heard about this on TikTok, and obviously, as much as I’m a sucker for docuseries, I’m not much different when it comes to romantic K-Dramas. Every time I watch this, it sends me on a rollercoaster of emotions. It’s the type of drama where it gets you giddy and punches a pillow once or twice or jumps around. Although I should warn you that you need to prepare a box of tissues for the end of the drama. That’s all I can tell you for now. 🤐

Anyways, I hope you took something away from this. See you next Tuesday! x