Christmas as Students!

Christmas as Students!

So it’s officially December, and that means Christmas is around the corner, and so is the winter break. I know as students, everyone looks forward to the winter break to celebrate Christmas with family, but for international students, going back to your family isn’t always possible. This week I thought I’d share some ideas of how to enjoy your holidays and festival while staying in with your friends or at uni accommodation…..

Go around the city

Use your time off to explore around the city. Birmingham during Christmas time is lit up with the very famous German Market, so go around and have a pint with friends, go ice skating and also take advantage of all the Christmas offers while shopping – you surely won’t regret those.

Plan a Christmas Dinner

You surely won’t be the only one in accommodation not going back home for holidays, so gather everyone, make new friends and plan a Christmas dinner together. It helps you socialize, make new friends and also get to know everyone’s traditions of celebrating Christmas. You could have a potluck where everyone brings a dish from their country – that way, you get to try new dishes and it brings a smile to everyone’s face as they get to share their culture. Best way to not get homesick and keep yourself busy.

Secret Santa

This is one thing me and my friends do every year and is always fun: Secret Santa. You get to pick one person to whom you will give a gift, and they won’t know who it is until the actual day. It’s just a fun activity and excellent suspense over who to expect, and it also gives you time to see how well you know your friends. In my case, it also helps in bonding and getting to know someone even more – obviously, you could be sneaky in asking questions to them to know what they want, and it always works for me. We usually do our Secret Santa when we have our dinner together before some leave for holidays before Christmas, and it just adds the fun to our Christmas party.

Decorate your flat and room

Instead of feeling low about not going home, try and decorate your room and flat to get into the festival spirit. It would surely help you lift up your mood and be a home away from home scenario!

That’s all I’ve got for you this week. If you cannot go home this winter, don’t be disheartened; plan out something to keep you engaged and keep yourself in the festival spirit! I wish you all a Merry Christmas and hope you enjoy it to the fullest!