Fashion 101: Fall/Winter Edition

Fashion 101: Fall/Winter Edition

As Jon Snow would say, “Winter is Coming.” Colder seasons mean it’s a tad difficult to style clothes. It involves layering different pieces of clothing to be warm, and it’s easy just to put on joggers and hoodies because it’s simply comfier and low-maintenance; you don’t have to overthink it.

However, other people (aka ME) love to look as presentable as possible, no matter the weather. Although I have my bad days, I still try my best to look like the better version of myself. 

If you’re going through the same thing, then you’ve come to the right place! 

(Disclaimer: In no way am I, in any shape or form, trying to claim myself as a professional fashion stylist! I’m merely trying to give fashion advice that can help or provide ideas for other people! That’s all, thank you!)

1. Leather Jackets 

You can never go wrong with a leather jacket! I never go anywhere without my leather jacket! (I think it’s an obsession at this point.) It’s a statement piece and very versatile. In fact, you can put on your typical hoodies and joggers and slip in a leather jacket – *chef’s kiss* – you’re ready to walk your runaway. Leather jackets come in different styles, colours and designs too! It could be cropped and pink, it could be studded, and it could be a coat. Pick your weapon and go! Plus, if it’s natural leather, then you’re waterproofed.

So if you see someone in a leather coat walking around campus, that’s probably me. 

1. Hats

Not to pull a Joe Goldberg in here, but hats are surprisingly stylish as well as functional. It could save you on rainy days! (Beware: hats don’t completely save you from ‘pouring’ rain, only for drizzle!) My favourite hat is probably the bucket hat! Not only are they fashionable, but they are also helpful and fit my look most of the time! Wearing hats also keeps your head warm during the colder months. Although it is recommended to wear a beanie (those are stylish too), just in case you left it somewhere then a hat would work just fine. It just doesn’t cover your ears that well. 

1. Turtlenecks 

Turtlenecks are one of the basic essentials to have during the colder season. You can wear it by itself, and put a jacket on if it gets quite chilly. But if it’s getting really cold, you can always use a turtleneck as an undershirt. You can wear it under a jumper, a hoodie, a shirt, button-down tops (either short or long-sleeved would work just fine!) Think of simple undershirt warmers but with extra coverage for your neck. Turtlenecks are especially good when you don’t feel like bringing a scarf with you! To be fair, turtlenecks even look good with scarves! It makes you feel like a main character because it certainly makes me feel like a leading actress in a rom-com Hallmark Christmas movie.  

1. Cardigans 

Need I say more?

Cardigans are very comfortable and warm! And definitely very easy to style! You can pair basic essential clothes with cardigans: undershirts, turtlenecks, shirts and t-shirts. In fact, during the winter months you can layer it this way: turtleneck, a long-sleeved button-down, a cardigan and then a coat! Ta-daaaa! Of course, to each their own, but cardigans are a must and they come in different colours too! You can choose oversized for a baggier look or a fitting one for a neat look! 

That’s all for today! 

I wanted to list other stuff such as leg warmers, tights and boots, but I guess that’s common sense and that everyone probably knows that you definitely need to wear boots during the winter, especially when it snows! And tights to keep your legs warm, especially if you wanted to wear a skirt or a dress. 

Either way, I hope I’ve helped! Wishing you a good week ahead and I’ll see you again next week!