Netflix’s binge-worthy list

Netflix’s binge-worthy list

I understand how frustrating it is to mindlessly scroll through Netflix and not find anything interesting to watch, or at least anything that had caught your attention. Even with Netflix recommending you new and upcoming movies and TV series to watch out for, it seems like nothing sparks your curiosity. 

Well, I’m here to save the day! As a Netflix connoisseur (😉), here are some of my favourite movies and TV series of the year! 

1. Nevertheless 알고있지만 (2021)

‘Nevertheless’ is a South Korean TV series, or popularly known as K-Drama, which is a story about two people who are attracted to each other but are cynical about love, owing to their past relationships. It is also based on a well-known webtoon of the same name, published on Naver Webtoon. 

If you are interested in K-Dramas but don’t know where or how to start, ‘Nevertheless’ is a good starting point, with light-hearted feels and storylines easy to follow. Although consisting of heartbreaks, distress and uncertainty, I believe it is worth your tears. 

1. Squidgame 오징어 게임 (2021)

‘Squidgame’ is another South Korean TV series. The only difference is, this one is a survival-drama genre. I am sure you’ve heard of it as it is currently Top 1 in Netflix UK, and many people are talking about it. Still, just in case you haven’t heard of it, ‘Squidgame’ is a story that revolves around 456 players. Each individual is deeply in debt and plays a set of children’s games but with deadly consequences for losing. Those who win will have a chance to gain a ₩45.6 billion prize. 

If you aren’t a fan of romance K-Dramas and are looking for an action-thriller genre, ‘Squidgame’ is where it is. 

1. Strangers From Hell 타인은 지옥이다 (2019)

‘Strangers From Hell’ – or as others know it, ‘Hell Is Other People’ – is, once again, a South Korean TV series. Like our first K-Drama, this is also based on a webtoon series of the same name, published on Naver Webtoon. ‘Strangers From Hell’ is centred on a young man, Yoon Jong-Woo, who moves to Seoul. He stumbles upon a cheap Eden Studio dormitory and decides to stay as he is low on money. Despite the grubby quality and unusual residents, he promises to wait until he has enough money to move out. However, ominous occurrences startle Jong-Woo and begin to frighten the studio’s residents. 

This series will definitely take you on a rollercoaster ride, playing mind games with you as you try to figure out what is happening or who really is the killer. 

1. Blood & Water (2020)

If you aren’t a fan of K-Drama series, whether they’re romance or thrillers, then I suggest you watch ‘Blood & Water.’ It is a South African TV series that follows a girl who transfers to an elite school when she suspects that one of the students may be her sister, who was abducted as a baby. 

Remember my ‘top 4 summer reads’? If you haven’t read it yet, then you can head here to check it out! The majority of the genres I recommended were campus novel crime-dramas. Lo and behold, this isn’t limited to books only. I love watching it too! So when I discovered ‘Blood & Water,’ I was immediately hooked, and I hope you will be too!

1. Clique (2017)

‘Clique’ is a British thriller TV series that revolves around two best friends, Holly and Georgia. It starts with Georgia being drawn towards an elite clique of girls, thus leaving Holly, her best friend, out in the cold. Nonetheless, this doesn’t stop Holly from being compelled to follow Georgia into this close-knit circle. 

I was going through that slump when I discovered this series, aimlessly going through the recommendation list Netflix had provided for me, and thankfully, I came across ‘Clique.’ It was a no-brainer that I would love this because as soon as I read that it involved friendship groups and murder, I dived in straight away! You will definitely enjoy this if you’re into drama and psychological thrillers!

1. Spirited Away 千と千尋の神隠し (2001)

Unlike the previous TV series listed, ‘Spirited Away’ is a Japanese animated fantasy film. This is one of my favourite childhood films and one that definitely stuck with me until this day – I will never get tired of watching this movie! The animations were beautiful and always left me awestruck as soon as the credit rolls in. 

‘Spirited Away’ is a story about a little girl named Chihiro and her parents, who stumbled across a seemingly abandoned amusement park. Once her parents have turned into pigs, Chihiro meets a boy named Haku who explains to her that the ‘abandoned’ park is actually a resort for supernatural beings. In order to break free of her parents’ curse and herself, she has to work in the realm. 

If you ever wanted to start watching animes, Spirited Away is a nice way to start as the plotline is very enticing and makes you want to know more, and with the bright colours in the film, it leaves you feeling carefree. 

1. Howl’s Moving Castle ハウルの動く城 (2004)

Saving the best for last, ‘Howl’s Moving Castle’ is my ultimate favourite movie of all time. Much like ‘Spirited Away,’ I grew up watching this movie as well. Fun fact: the writer and director for ‘Howl’s Moving Castle’ is the same one from ‘Spirited Away,’ therefore let’s all thank Hayao Miyazaki for the amazing impact he had on my childhood. 

Anyways, ‘Howl’s Moving Castle’ is a Japanese animated fantasy film as well, revolving around a girl named Sophie who seems to live an uneventful life, working late hours in her father’s shop. That is until she befriends a wizard named Howl, who lives in a magical flying castle. This film is also loosely based on the 1986 novel of the same name by British author Diana Wynne Jones. 

Funnily, I was so obsessed with this movie growing up that I had begged my mum to purchase the ‘Howl’s Moving Castle’ trilogy. 

(Photo: August 2015) 

Ta-daaaa! I hope I’ve helped take you out of your slump and hope these recommendations make it on your ‘to-be watched’ list! Have a happy week ahead, and I’ll see you next week! 💗🌷