The Phantom of the Opera!

The Phantom of the Opera!

Do you like musicals? I love them! I always wanted to watch but never got a chance…

Last week, I finally went to one of the performances of the renowned The Phantom of the Opera at Her Majesty’s Theatre.

“The Phantom of the Opera is a story of a masked figure who lurks beneath the catacombs of the Paris Opera House, exercising a reign of terror over all who inhabit it. He falls madly in love with an innocent young soprano, Christine, and devotes himself to creating a new star by nurturing her extraordinary talents and by employing all of the devious methods at his command.” – Andrew Lloyd Webber, the composer.

Since we are not allowed to take photos and record during the show, I went online to search for some pictures to share.

▲ One of my favourite scenes, where the stage transforms into a river and the candles rise from under the stage.

.

There are a number of songs in the performance and you can watch some of the performances/songs here.

Besides the lovely music, their stage effects are excellent as well. There is a big chandelier in the centre of the theatre and it will rise or fall according to the story. A fact about the chandelier: The replica of the Paris Opera House chandelier is made up of 6,000 beads consisting of 35 beads to each string. It is 3 metres wide and weighs one ton. The touring version falls at 2.5 metres per second.

The chandelier

It’s an exceptional performance and I would definitely recommend you watch it live at least once in your life! The experience is unforgettable! If you are interested in other musicals, you can also have a look here.

See you next week.

Hoi Yan