Struggles of being an almost-adult

Struggles of being an almost-adult

Adulthood isn’t the same for everyone, it definitely doesn’t come around at the same time as others. Some might feel like they’re an adult later on in life but some might feel like they’re an adult as early as sixteen. Adulthood also comes in different types of levels: there’s parenting, grandparenthood and the almost-adult. Either way, being an adult means something different to everyone, so in today’s blog, I will be talking about my almost-adult struggles. 

You do things by yourself. Yes, you can ask for assistance, but most of the time, you have to do it all yourself, whether it be cooking, grocery shopping or booking a doctor’s appointment. So, if you make a mistake – overcooking rice, eating unhealthily or missing an urgent consultation – you take responsibility for it, which leads us to our next point. 

Taking responsibility. You have responsibilities to take care of, unlike when you were a child, where you mindlessly have fun while your parents take care of the serious stuff. That ‘serious stuff’ being paying the rent, the bills, doing your laundry, washing the dishes etc.. For instance, the responsibility that I had to take care of recently had something to do with my power sockets. Neither of them works, therefore, it is my responsibility to remind the staff daily about it until it is fully fixed. Or else, I would have to hang around the kitchen in order to charge my electronics. 

Choices, choices, choices. Just like responsibilities, you also have to make good choices. As an indecisive person, it is very difficult to make choices at times. Should I lazily lounge in bed, scrolling aimlessly through TikTok and ignore the piling assignments? Should I cook a proper meal today, or should I heat up the kettle and eat instant noodles instead? Should I waste my money on clothes that I will probably wear once, or should I save them up for future purposes? Whatever choices you make, whether good or bad, it will have consequences and it is up to the individual which path they would rather take. 

Independence. You now live alone, you earn your own money, you buy whatever and whenever you want. You’ve got a job, but despite the freedom, you always feel the need to ask your parents if you can go out with your friends. There are definitely times where I feel like I need to ask for my Mum’s permission if I can buy groceries when I can literally just go. This then leads us to our next point…

Social expectations. Society has expectations when you tell them that you’re an ‘adult.’ They expect you to know everything once you turn 18 because you’re, well, an adult. However, there are certain times where you just don’t feel like one. As mentioned earlier, everyone goes through adulthood in different phases of their life. For example, there is this societal pressure where once you’re an adult, you’re expected to know everything about paying taxes and loans or it could be as little as expecting you to live a certain lifestyle, the way you dress or act. 

Overall, there are times where I think about how I am going to fully take responsibility for very big things such as owning a house, having a family or being a hardworking career woman. It sounds terrifying and based on my parents’ or relatives experience, it sounds awfully stressful. Although I could always change my ways in order to prevent it from occurring to me, I couldn’t help but get that daunting feeling that shovels deeply into my chest. However, as the popular saying goes, ‘it’s the way of life’ and it’s up to us how we tolerate it. 

I hope you enjoyed this week’s blog. See you next week, fellow almost-adults!