My Three Years Studying in the UK

My Three Years Studying in the UK

Time flies, I can’t believe that I have already been in the UK for 3 years now and I have pretty much enjoyed my student life here. Coming to study at UCB and the UK is one of the best decisions I made; I am so glad that I came all the way and I know all the effort is worth it.

There are FIVE things that I learnt/enjoyed most during my three years here:

• Studied a Great Course 

The main reason why I came to the UK and chose to study at UCB is that I wanted to study something that I’m passionate about, and UCB provides my ideal course – Bakery and Patisserie Technology. I am interested in baking and I have always wanted to learn more about bakery science, so this course is perfect for me. Not only there are practical lessons where I can practice and learn new recipes/skills, but the course also exposes us to a lot of the science behind baking which I think is critical for anyone who wishes to get into the industry.

• Met Loads of New People

Studying abroad gives me the opportunity to meet people from around the world, especially in the UK because it’s such a multi-cultural country.  People from university, societies, part-time jobs, volunteering… I am so glad that I am able to meet many great people and learn about their life and culture. I love meeting new people and I believe that all of their experiences can teach me something.

• Learnt to be Independent

Studying abroad means that you’ll have to do most of the stuff by yourself. As you’re living away from your family, you’ll need to cook yourself, do all the housework, manage your budget, make your own decision, face difficulties on your own… You will be living in a new country, surrounded by things that you’re unfamiliar with and it is not going to be easy, particularly if this is your first time. However, this will help you to force yourself to find your way around and learn to rely on yourself when in challenging situations

• Get to know Myself Better and Learnt to Take Care of My Health

With everything that I have overcome, I understand myself a lot better and I learnt to listen to my own voice – what I really think and want, rather than listening to what others think I should do. Taking care of yourself is the most important thing; both your mental and physical health. After dealing with homesickness and everything that happened over the past two years, I understand that the future is unpredictable, live in the present and your own health is the most valuable thing of all.

• Step Out of My Comfort Zone

Being homesick is one of the milestones which helped me a lot in terms of stepping out of my comfort zone. I was an introvert, quiet and shy person, I was homesick in my first year and I chose to lock myself in the room instead of asking for help. I soon realised that it wasn’t working so then I met up with a mentor at UCBWellbeing Team who helped me to push myself out of my comfort zone. I started to ask people out, volunteer, go to the gym, do yoga… Now, I am feeling much better and really enjoying my life here.

See you next week~

Hoi Yan