Stepping Out of Your Comfort Zone

Stepping Out of Your Comfort Zone

There are many benefits of stepping out of your comfort zone. Today, I would like to share some tips on how you can expand your comfort zone.

• Find a mentor                        

One of the quickest and perhaps easiest ways to start is to look for a mentor.

In my first year, I was homesick, and I really struggled to get used to the new environment. At that time, I chose to lock myself in the room and just cry. I soon realised that it wasn’t helping so I went to see University College Birmingham’s Wellbeing Team and met a friendly mentor who was very supportive and helped me a lot. She was a good listener, and she gave me loads of advice on how I can get out of my comfort zone. I then started asking people out, became a student ambassador and volunteer, got a part-time job, went to the gym, did yoga, and have been taking care of both my physical and mental health.

• Start with something you’re interested in

Maybe start with some small change in your daily life or something that you’re interested in. For example, you can start reading a new book, learn a new language, cook for your family and friends, talk to your neighbours… Something new but still within your comfort zone.

• Take Your time

I understand that it can be challenging to do something that is out of your comfort zone. The first step is never easy, so please remember to take your time and do it slowly. Don’t try to just jump out of your comfort zone, as it’s likely that you’ll have counter effects and just make the situation worse. Also, remember not to compare yourself to others as you’re unique and changes need time.

• Listen to yourself. Be honest.

Be honest with yourself – are you making excuses, or you really don’t feel comfortable doing that? Please don’t force yourself to do something that you don’t want to. Listen to yourself and what you really want. I know sometimes it can be hard and feel uncomfortable to face your fear, but don’t make excuses. Be honest with yourself and this will help you to move forward.

• A small step goes a long way

Finally, embrace every little step you take, no matter if it’s a success or failure. Trying to step out of your comfort zone is already courage, so you should be proud of yourself!