Indian foods you need to try – continued…

A few weeks ago, I shared some of the Indian dishes you must try as they are loved by all back in India. I thought I would share some more of my favourites and some recipes you need to try with a promise you won’t regret it whatsoever. If you haven’t read the first part yet, here is a link to follow….

Vada Pav

A very classic vegetarian street food native to the state of Maharashtra. It’s a deep-fried potato patty in a gram flour batter. It is served within a white bread roll accompanied by one or more chutneys, usually a spicy coriander chutney and a garlic chutney. A perfect combination of crispy, soft, spicy and bursting with flavour in every bite and easy to make at home too – here is a recipe.

Idli Sambar

One of my most favourite dishes of all time and one I can never have enough of. Idli is a steamed savoury rice cake that originated in the South of India served with Sambar, a lentil-based curry flavoured with tamarind and spices. This is one of my go-to comfort foods, and one can never go wrong after eating this as it’s just a very hearty meal itself. I definitely recommend trying this. Many Indian restaurants in Birmingham have this on their menu, so you won’t be missing out.

Paneer Tikka

Yet another very popular dish and could be found as an option in every menu of an Indian restaurant and would always be a staple in any Indian functions. Paneer tikka is chunks of paneer marinated in yoghurt and spices grilled in a tandoor but if made at home usually under a grill or in an oven. It’s a perfect starter dish for all occasions and is enjoyed by everyone as it’s simple to make but very tasty to eat. If you want to try this at home, here is a recipe.

Bhelpuri

Made with puffed rice, onions, tomatoes, peanuts, spicy coriander chutney and a tangy tamarind sauce, this is a classic savoury street food dish and the aroma and the flavours would just make your mouth water. The ingredients bring a rich and balanced texture and it’s a delightful snack.

Palak Paneer

A classic Punjabi curry, made with paneer in a thick Palak-based sauce (translates to Spinach puree in English) flavoured with loads of spices and a dish that can make spinach haters turn to like it as the aroma and taste are irresistible. Usually served with naan bread, paratha or rice, whatever one prefers. Here is a recipe if you wanna give it a try.

If this blog made your mouth water (I know it made mine as I wrote it), you definitely need to try some of these dishes or recipes at home, and I promise you won’t regret it. You might find a favourite dish of your own you never know.