Indian Foods You Need to Try!

Indian Foods You Need to Try!

Indian cuisine is one of a kind with a large variety of dishes, full of flavour and made using loads of spices, herbs and most importantly as our elders say, is made with love. We Indians love our food, and it is also a way of showing our love and care towards someone; that’s why if you visit someone’s house in India, the first thing they would tell you is ‘don’t leave without having food’ and they definitely won’t take a no for an answer if you resist. People here in the UK are not unknown to Indian food as I was rather surprised to see how much everyone here loves their Indian curry, and Indian takeaway for many families is a weekly thing. Therefore, I thought I would share some of my favourite Indian dishes that you should definitely try, and I am sure they would make your mouth water.

Panipuri (Gol Gappe)

One of my absolute favourite Indian street foods, and the one I would highly recommend. It’s a hollow ball-shaped crispy bread which at the time of serving is filled with potato, chickpeas, tamarind sauce, and finally spiced flavoured water, which is usually infused with coriander, mint, and spices. It is a very common Indian street food and enjoyed by all, a bit on the spicy side but worth it. I could eat that for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and still would want more because I love it so much!

Pav Bhaji

Another very famous Indian street food, full of flavour, and a comfort food for many. It’s a vegetable curry mashed together with loads of spices (and a ton of butter!) served with white bread rolls and garnished with onions, coriander, and lemon. A vegetarian dish which could be enjoyed by all and easily can be made at home. If you want to try something new for dinner, here is a recipe.

Butter Chicken

Another very classic Indian dish and enjoyed by all is Butter Chicken. Marinated chicken pieces traditionally cooked in a tandoor oven and finished in a creamy tomato sauce. It was originated in Delhi and is one of its kind, and if you are a vegetarian would suggest substituting chicken with marinated paneer and grill it; otherwise, the curry base is already vegetarian. Have it with naan or rice; whatever you prefer, it tastes great either way. I made it for my friends and can confirm they loved it, so I am sure you all will too. If you plan to make it at home, don’t use a store-bought sauce. I know there are many available in stores; make it from scratch, and I swear you won’t regret it as it tastes so much better. If you are looking for a recipe, here is one to try.

Dosa Sambar

It’s a classic south Indian dish and one of my most favourite dishes of all time. It’s an Indian crepe made with a fermented batter consisting of white lentils (Urad Dal) and rice. Its served with sambar, which is a tangy lentil-based curry infused with tamarind and spices. It’s a very classic combination that is accompanied by coconut chutney. It’s flavourful, healthy, filling, and you could have it plain or served stuffed with a spiced potato filling which just adds more flavour to an already brilliant dish. Many restaurants in the UK serve it so if you are looking for something new to try, give it a go.

Chicken 65 

A very simple dish but if made right, very tasty to eat. Chicken 65 is a marinated fried chicken in a thick spiced batter with yoghurt finished with a tempering of curry leaves, green chillies, ginger-garlic paste. The name originated has many different stories, but it said the first time it was served in a restaurant, it was number 65 on the menu; hence, it continued being called chicken 65. It’s a nice starter dish for parties or get-togethers or just to add something to a family dinner. Not quite sure if many restaurants here serve it, but if you wanna try it at home, here is a recipe.

These are some of my absolute favourites, so if you ever get a chance to try or make them give them a go, maybe I might share some more of my favourites dishes in a future blog…