Human in Suspension

Human in Suspension

As part of life, loss is inevitable, and it can be very difficult, especially when it comes to someone we love and care for. Dealing with grief and accepting loss is extremely challenging. Everyone grieves in their own way but nevertheless, it isn’t always easy to accept the loss of a loved one. For any parent, the death of a child is truly devastating.

I came across an interesting documentary on Netflix called “Hope Frozen: A Quest To Live Twice”. The documentary tells the journey of what a Thai scientist and his family went through before and after they decided to cryogenically freeze his dying daughter. It highlights the unconditional love and the lengths of a parent’s love for his child to give her the opportunity to possibly live again in the future.

Have you heard of Cryogenic before? I have heard of it before, but I’ve never been interested enough to find out more about it. That is until the documentary popped up as a recommendation for me.
Cryogenic freezing is a concept of using extremely low temperature as a way to preserve humans and animals. It offers a chance for elderly or terminally ill people to freeze their body in the hope of being able to be revived in the future. The idea is that they will be revived in the future when a cure for their disease has been found by a scientist. Therefore, enabling them a second chance in life. It’s controversial to many people as there isn’t enough evidence to support it.

A lot of local media in Thailand were criticising the scientist on his decision. Many argued that he is going against fate or destiny and imprisoning her soul, disabling her from moving on to the other world. However, he stood firm in his decision which he claimed is done out of love for his child. Alive but without biological activity. Alive but only on a cellular level.

I highly suggest you watch the documentary. I find this all very moving and interesting. I’m moved by what the Thai scientist did for his daughter. It is evident how much love he has for his daughter but at the same time it feels too selfish to me. Only because there isn’t enough evidence to show that this could be successful in the future. Even if there is a chance for it to work, it will take decades or even another century to figure out how to be able to bring someone back successfully.

I can’t help but wonder whether technology has made it easier for people to handle loss? And there’s always the question whether one would be able to live up to the time when their loved ones would be ‘woken up’ again. Tell me what you guys think?