My Summer 2020 Reading List

My Summer 2020 Reading List

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all well and enjoying your summer, since last week in Birmingham it was 30 degrees, while in Portugal it was only 22. A few posts ago, I told you that during summer I usually read more, and this year during winter I made a list with all the books I wanted to read, so today I will tell you some of them.

1. How to Walk Away

Maggie Jacobsen is just about to step into the bright future she’s worked so hard and so long for: her dream job, a fiancé she adores and the promise of a perfect life just around the corner. But on what should have been the happiest day of her life, everything she worked for is taken away in a single catastrophic moment.

1. The Girl He Used to Know

Annika Rose likes being alone. She feels lost in social situations, saying the wrong thing or acting the wrong way. She just can’t read people. She prefers the quiet solitude of books or playing chess to being around others. Apart from Jonathan. She liked being around him, but she hasn’t seen him for ten years. Until now that is. And she’s not sure he’ll want to see her again after what happened all those years ago.

1. The Spring Girls: A Modern-Day Retelling of Little Women

Four sisters desperately seeking the blueprints to life. The Spring Girls — Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy — are a force of nature on the New Orleans military base where they live. As different as they are, with their father on tour in Iraq and their mother hiding something, their fears are very much the same. Struggling to build lives they can be proud of and that will lift them out of their humble station in life, one year will determine all that their futures can become.

The oldest, Meg, will be an officer’s wife and enter military society like so many of the women she admires, if her passion — and her reputation — don’t derail her. Beth, the workhorse of the family, is afraid to leave the house, is afraid she’ll never figure out who she really is. Jo just wants out. Wishing she could skip to graduation, she dreams of a life in New York City and a career in journalism where she can impact the world. Nothing can stop her — not even love. And Amy, the youngest, is watching all her sisters, learning from how they handle themselves, for better or worse.

1. Holding Up the Universe

Everyone thinks they know Libby Strout, the girl once dubbed “America’s Fattest Teen.” But no one’s taken the time to look past her weight to get to know who she really is. Following her mom’s death, she’s been picking up the pieces in the privacy of her home, dealing with her heartbroken father and her own grief. Now, Libby’s ready: for high school, for new friends, for love, and for every possibility life has to offer. In that moment, I know the part I want to play here at MVB High. I want to be the girl who can do anything. 

Everyone thinks they know Jack Masselin, too. Yes, he’s got swagger, but he’s also mastered the impossible art of giving people what they want, of fitting in. What no one knows is that Jack has a newly-acquired secret: he can’t recognise faces. Even his own brothers are strangers to him. He’s the guy who can re-engineer and rebuild anything, but he can’t understand what’s going on with the inner workings of his brain. So he tells himself to play it cool: Be charming. Be hilarious. Don’t get too close to anyone.

1. Good Vibes, Good Life: How Self-Love Is the Key to Unlocking Your Greatness

Be the best version of you that YOU can be.

How can you learn to truly love yourself? How can you transform negative emotions into positive ones? Is it possible to find lasting happiness? In this book, Instagram guru Vex King answers all of these questions and more. Vex overcame adversity to become a source of hope for thousands of young people and now draws from his personal experience and his intuitive wisdom to inspire you.

1. Everything I Know About Love

The wildly funny, occasionally heart-breaking, internationally best-selling memoir about growing up, growing older, and learning to navigate friendships, jobs, loss, and love along the ride.

When it comes to the trials and triumphs of becoming an adult, journalist and former Sunday Times columnist Dolly Alderton has seen and tried it all. In her memoir, she vividly recounts falling in love, finding a job, getting drunk, getting dumped, realising that Ivan from the corner shop might just be the only reliable man in her life, and that absolutely no one can ever compare to her best girlfriends. Everything I Know About Love is about bad dates, good friends and — above all else — realising that you are enough.

Everything I Know About Love

This is, for now, my summer reading list, but I am sure that I will be adding more during the months and if you have any recommendations that you would like to give me, please feel free to comment.

See you next week,