Let your dream be bigger than your fears!

Hello everybody, my name is Olga. I am working as an international master intern, and for a few weeks I will be guest blogging.

Olga Head Shot

For my first blog here, I decided to choose something that a lot of students are hesitant about. Considering an opportunity but also having a fear of doing the first step.

With the heart of a traveller I am always looking to travel somewhere and discover. Three years ago I decided to participate in a work abroad programme called Premier Aquatics. I still remember it like it was yesterday. After a few unsuccessful months of trying to persuade my friends to go with me, I decided to go alone. My fear of making the first step to go alone for four months to another part of the world was covered by adrenaline, the feeling of adventure and a new experience.

All those feelings convinced me to go, to try, to ask and to discover. Led by those feelings, I found a lifeguard program which required practical and theoretical tests from swimming to first aid. When I found that I had the last opportunity to participate in this program and tests were in 2 weeks, I didn’t even have time to be scared. I just knew what needed to be done. I still remember when I ran into the kitchen in student accommodation where all my friends where eating and I told them…..

….“Okay guys, who is a good swimmer who can go with me to the swimming pool and show me some techniques, I have just two weeks.”

Yes, I know what you are thinking, is she kidding? And yes, all my friends were thinking the same thing at that moment. However, after living with me for a few months, they knew me enough to take me seriously.

All my fears started to appear on the day I had to pass a swimming test and then for the following two days when I had to take part in training of swimming rescue techniques and first aid. When I arrived, I was so scared about how many things we needed to learn in two days — however, the mentors where super lovely and they were joking all the time. So, practising and learning was nice and easy.

I wasn’t the only person who was travelling alone and the other people were so nice that I made a lot of friends. With some of them, I decided to work in the same area and to live in one apartment together. That was the best decision I could have ever made.

Going alone, doing something new, and with new people, you see first hand that it can be the best thing that you can do. As a lifeguard, you will have so many funny moments that you can’t even imagine. Every lifeguard can speak to you for hours about their experiences.

There are so many moments, so many memories and so many new lifelong friends that you can make during this program that I can’t even count. So, if someone is wondering if to go or not, my advice is overcome the initial fear and go for it😊

Next week I will show you guys, other parts of this program – Travelling after working for four months😊