My school background

My school background

Hi everyone,

October has arrived so it is that time of the year where we are all back to school. For those new to UCB welcome and I hope you enjoy your journey here as much as I am enjoying mine. For those who are new, Hello, my name is Madalena Ribeiro, I am a BA (Hons) Marketing with Events Management student, and I am going to my final year.

For today’s post, I would like to share with you a little of my school background but also to share my experience at UCB until now. Since I started going to school, I moved 3 times, because in Portugal we have from the 1st grade till the 12th grade and then we go to University. I went to the same school, from the 1st to the 4th grade in Lisbon because it was closer to my mum’s work. From the 5th grade until the 9th grade, I moved to another school, but this one closer to my house. At this school I made a lot of friends some of whom are still friends now.

On my 10th grade, I decided to go to another school in a town called Oeiras because I felt I needed to start over with new people and the school that all of my friends were going was not that good. In this year I decided to study sciences that included: Biology  & Geology, Physics & Chemistry, Maths plus all the other mandatory courses (English, Portuguese, Philosophy and Physical Education ). During the 3 years, I studied that path, but I hated it because the specific modules were not interesting to me, and I didn’t make a lot of friends. The only good thing that happened to me in the school was meeting my boyfriend and my best friend, again whom are still my boyfriend and best friend.

Finally, these 3 years ended, and it was time to go to University. I was super excited because my dream since I was little was to go to University but mainly to do it abroad. During my final year, I did a lot of research to try to go to an American University, but it was too expensive, and I couldn’t afford it. Suddenly I found OK Estudante that helps students to study in the United Kingdom, and we didn’t need to pay the tuition fees, so it was beneficial. This company helped me a lot in finding the best course to making my final application to UCB.

In September of 2017, 18 years old I came to the United Kingdom without my family, this was very hard because I am the only child, but at least I came with my boyfriend. The first semester of the first year was a little bit difficult because I was not used to studying in English and to not speak my language all the time. I didn’t have any problem to make friends even being a shy person, so if you are shy like me just try to say hello, and your name and you will find a lot of amazing friends.

My second semester was better. Until now, my second year was my favourite year because I made more friends, and now we hang out more, we go out, and sometimes we cook dinner for each other. During the second year, my relationship with my friends increased, and now I can ensure that my best friends live in Birmingham!!

This was my school background, I was never the “popular” girl, but I always had friends. Also, I was never the smartest girl, but every time that I want something, I work really hard, and I worked a lot to come to the UK.

I hope you enjoyed this post and see you next week,