A week in my life: Summer Edition

A week in my life: Summer Edition

Hi everyone,

Last week I had one of the best weeks of this summer. I had the opportunity to visit my boyfriend’s grandparents villa in Selores towards the north of Portugal. We left on Friday afternoon, and it was 5 hours driving till we arrived. Once we arrived we just had dinner with his family, and then we went to sleep because we were super tired.

On Saturday we woke up later, and we stayed home all morning, but in the afternoon we went to a viewpoint and the view was so pretty. The view was of the mountains and of the Douro River. In this area, we walked a little bit to see his grandfather’s olives trees and fig trees and the view from there was amazing as well.

For Sunday, since it’s the family day we had lunch with more family and in the evening we did a Jeep ride in the mountains and close to the Douro River.

At the end of the day we ended up in a town called Foz do Sabor where there is a river beach, which is fantastic, the water is not that cold, and it’s a quiet place to hang out. We stayed for around 1 hour because no one had the swimming costumes on.

On Monday we took a day off of visiting, and we decided to paint his grandfather’s bedroom, and in the afternoon we went to visit the castle. The castle is situated in Carrazeda de Ansiães and is there since 1734. It is a little bit deteriorated since its very old. You can still have a good view from the top and see the inside of the castle though.

For Tuesday, we spent all day home except in the afternoon where we went to see the mill in his family town. The mill was built in the early 20th century. It will have worked for about a decade, grinding the wheat produced in the fields surrounding the village of Carrazeda.

Wednesday was my favourite day we drove for around 1 hour, and we went to a place called Azibo, that is another river beach, but on this day I had my bikini, so we spent all day there. It was scorching, and the water was so good, so it was a perfect day. For lunch, my boyfriend and I went to the beach bar and had a sandwich and a coke because as I said before, it was too hot, so I needed a fresh drink.

On Thursday we had a peaceful day as well. We decided to have lunch at a town called Foz do Tua at a restaurant called Calça Curta. The food was delicious, but the best was having lunch with a view of the river.

After lunch since it was close we stopped at a viewpoint called Olhos do Tua, where we saw Tua river and more mountains as you can see in the pictures.

In the evening we went to his family house where we had a little bit of everything: cheese, gammon, tart, homemade biscuits that I am going to talk more about them in my next post and with drinks as well ( wine, sparkling wine and juices).

Finally, Friday was our last day, and we went back to Azibo for his family to see and to spend some time there, but the most essential part of this day was when we went to eat seafood. Unfortunately, I don’t have any pictures, because it was family time, so I forgot to take a lot of pictures, but if you go to the north of Portugal you definitely have to go to this restaurant called Marisqueira Novo Mariano.

Sadly, Saturday arrived, and it was time to leave that fantastic and quite place. This week was really good to rest but also to enjoy the nature of my country, I could see the stars every night, and now I feel calmer and ready for the new year.

I hope you enjoyed reading about my trip and see you next week with a recipe.