In search of a new home

In search of a new home

How many times have you moved houses? Once? Every year? Never? For those of you just starting university it might be slightly challenging to find a place to live in a foreign land. Having moved six times in my life around three different countries, I believe I have some valuable tips to share with you.

1. Moving from another country

Moving from a different country can be a nightmare. Even more so, all the requirements it takes does not make it any easier. Housing here requires previous references, bank details, proof of income, and so on. Hence, student accommodation is there for you. And why not take advantage of not having the headache of looking for places when you can not even go for a viewing. Applying for student accommodation is easy, quick, and as long as you are a student, you are in. But not only that. Have you thought about that time when you move out, away from family and friends? Beyond any doubt, student accommodation will help you go through that transition smoother than you can imagine. Usually you can find a mixture of nationalities, party animals, university work partners and travel buddies.

1. It is time to have my own space

Fun is fun, but at some point in your life, you will appreciate the time you have on your own and wish to have more personal space. It is good when your friends are just next door, and you can always call in for a party, but it is even nicer sometimes to have a bath and read a book in bed all day long. For those of you who feel this way, a two three-bedroom flat is a perfect choice. You will already be living in England for quite awhile, know how things work and can book a viewing for your future YOU space.

1. Being in the middle

Here I am talking about being surrounded by people but also having privacy. The shared house is, in a way similar to student accommodation but a smaller dimension. Usually, there are 5-9 bedroom houses where you again share a communal area and bathroom. Shared houses are, however, cheaper in some cases compared to student accommodation but often away from the campus. More professionals go for shared houses, but there are student share houses on the market as well.

I have gone through all of the options, and each of them has it’s advantages and disadvantages. Confidently, I can say that living in those environments made me more flexible with an easily adjustable personality. But before you start looking for your place, bear in mind:

• Location: sometimes slightly more expensive places can save you transport costs and TIME;
  • Part-time job: often students work in the hospitality industry with a big concentration of bars and restaurants in the city centre;
  • Campus: Does 30 min walking sounds good to you? Now imagine that at 7 in the morning when you have to wake up and walk to uni.
  • Shopping: Domino pizza is good for Friday night but not an everyday meal. It is good to have a superstore around you that saves you the effort of carrying your groceries around town.
  • Airport: This may not be valid for everyone, but some of you should have in mind what airlines and range of flight tickets prices they offer to your home country.

I hope I managed to help you a bit or at least give an idea of what to look out for when searching for your new home as I myself know how hard this process can sometimes be.