Student Ambassador Experience

Student Ambassador Experience

The majority of you have probably seen now and then those people in the blue “Student Ambassador” shirts or jumpers around the campus. I am part of the Student Ambassadors Team at UCB and considering that any new available positions will probably be released in the following months and some of you might be interested in applying, I wanted to give you a little bit more information about the job.

In brief, we are representing and promoting the university. It is quite a nice and an easy part-time job with pretty flexible hours. As a student ambassador, I have worked on various events like Open Days, Applicant Days, programmes for teenagers, or supporting the Marketing team on a particular task. Student ambassador duties can involve giving campus and accommodation tours to future students and their parents/friends, orientating them to their rooms or even participating in some lecture sessions making sure they run smoothly. I find myself very passionate about my degree (Aviation and Airport Management) and quite satisfied with University College Birmingham. Hence, I became a student ambassador almost a year ago. For me, the main idea of the job is to help future students get an impression of the university and the environment itself. When I had to choose a university for my bachelor’s, it was pretty much a blind choice as I did not have the chance to visit the facilities and talk to students. And sometimes I see the same confusion in visitors’ eyes. Thus, I love passing my experience to them so they can take their final decision.

I also love that no day is the same. For example, last week with the Marketing team we visit Peterborough Reginal School for a university fayre. It was my first fayre and slightly different from the events I am used to working on. We travelled early in the morning and, of course, got caught in traffic, but for me, the best part was the opportunity to present to the Tourism students of the school about University College Birmingham and the Aviation and Airport Management course in particular. We had students from different backgrounds coming to the UCB stand and asking questions about the university courses and student life. I truly enjoyed that day, and I want to encourage those of you who are a little bit more passionate about university life and looking for extra income to try and find out more about being a Student Ambassador.