Where Do You Want To Live?

Where Do You Want To Live?

As an international student, I know very well what it is like to go way out of your comfort zone and focus on your future. You abandon your friends, family, lifestyle and other attributes of your home country. It is sad, there’s no denying.

Did you ever think about what’s after you’re done with your degree? Are you staying in Birmingham? Are you going back home? Please, if you haven’t thought about this before, give it a couple of minutes now. I’ll wait.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

All done? Goodie!

It doesn’t matter if you’re an international student or a full-blown Briton – we all need to make difficult decisions regarding our lives. One of them is where and when to move.

I like to consider plenty of different facts and aspects of the place I am planning to move to:

• Is it far from my workplace (school)?
  • Is there some good grocery shops around?
  • Can I get my hands on public transport or can I park my car nearby?

And the list goes on and on. However, the most important question you have to face is:

• Why do I have to move?

And this is something you have to answer yourself.

Let me tell you something about my decision. Once I have (happily) concluded my studies with UCB and have that juicy gooey BA (hons) in my grasp I am moving away from this country. England is not for everyone.

I am not trying to say that it is a bad country or that Birmingham is a bad city to live in – dear god no, it’s pretty sweet. What I am trying to convey to you is that it is not for everyone.

Even with my second year in the country coming up I am still suffering from cultural shock; I am 100% sure that this is something I would have never gotten over. Because of that, I will not look back to that decision with regret. And what do you know? Maybe I’ll visit in a couple of years time.

In conclusion, if you can’t say why you want to move there is probably no reason to. Careers and money come and go, but you only have one life. Live it!