How to Get Employed (Part 3)

How to Get Employed (Part 3)

Do you have your CV ready? Did you accept your fate yet? Regardless of your answer, time is of the essence. To pay the bills, you need to have money and to get the money you need to work. So I guess it’s time for work?

The first thing that you need to bear in mind is that when applying for a job in the UK, you need to be patient. Everyone takes about two years before they get back to you, or it feels like that! In most cases, you won’t even hear back from them! As you’ll get to know for yourself, employers love to add a little note about ‘due to the number of applicants we cannot respond to each of you individually – if you haven’t heard from us in the next [fill time in here], your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion’. I think this is quite disrespectful towards the candidates.

Most of today’s applications are handled online. The following websites are a good stepping point to find most of the work you need:

Get a profile on each of those and opt for newsletters about jobs. These come very often – I have never gotten a good job offer from a newsletter. However, their constant presence reminds me every time that I need to get a job.

When using the job search engine on any website, there are some key terms to remember:

• Full-time
  • Part-time
  • Distance (usually in miles)
  • Employer (a huge difference between a direct employer and an agency)
  • Casual
  • Temporary
  • Permanent

Ideally, you want to have a permanent position, working part-time hours (that means up to 30 per week).

Some companies don’t advertise their jobs on portals listed above. Instead, they promote their vacancies on their own careers website. This goes for any company – no matter the size. It takes much more time to apply and search for all the jobs, but the outcome is much more rewarding.

You will always want to start on the ‘jobsites’ and then gradually work your way towards the hard grind.

When I apply for jobs, I open Google Maps on my location and look through the businesses near me. Whenever I see something that could be hiring, I look for the careers website online.

Quite obviously, finding a job is a full-time job on its own. You must be patient. You must be resilient. You must be hard-working. Giving up is not an option.

In case you have an issue finding a job, try to talk to someone from the University first. They will try to help you in any way they can. There is no need to get depressed over your situation – there is always help available.

Next week, we will be discussing the job search from a different angle.